This recipe comes just in time for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday! If you cannot fathom spending half a day in the kitchen, roasting an entire turkey for just you and your honey, why not make this simple dish that is enough for 2-3 meals? Ground turkey is pretty bland on its own and I always find that no matter how much seasoning I add, I feel like the dish is still tasteless, so tailor the amount of seasonings to your tastebuds. The mushrooms and aubergines add moisture while the onions, garlic, and shallots add the much-needed flavor.
This recipe uses the radishes, lacinato kale, garlic greens, and aubergines (purple eggplant), and is served with cucumber, green beans, and spicy peppers from November’s CSA box.
- 5-6 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion ~ washed, peeled, and chopped
- 1 bunch garlic greens ~ washed, end of the bulbs removed, and minced
- 1 handful of pre-peeled garlic cloves ~ sliced
- 2 purple shallots ~ washed, peeled, and minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 5 large cremini mushrooms ~ cleaned, chopped
- 3 small-medium aubergines ~ washed and chopped, skin left on
- 2 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs Mrs. Dash original blend (or your choice of herb blend)
- 3-4 tps sea salt
- 1 sprig of dried oregano ~ crushed, stem discarded
- sprinkle of evaporated cane sugar
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 leaves organic lacinato kale ~ washed, woody stems removed, and quickly blanched until leaves are a bright, dark green
- 6-7 medium radishes ~ thickly sliced
- fresh green beans ~ optional
- 1 pickling cucumber ~ optional
- spicy peppers ~ optional
- cilantro ~ optional garnish
*In a large stainless steel pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, garlic, garlic greens, and shallots until they reach a golden brown. *Add the turkey and continue to sauté until it is mostly cooked. *Add the aubergines to the mix and thoroughly cook everything. *Season the mixture with the onion powder, sea salt, oregano, sugar, black pepper and any other spices you feel this dish needs. *On a dinner plate, arrange the kale in a “ring of flower petals,” scoop some turkey sauté in the middle, and arrange the radish rings and cucumber rings around the perimeter. *Garnish with cilantro. *Optional veggies to serve with the dish would be steamed green beans and fresh peppers.