It’s a mouthful to say the recipe name so I shortened it on the photo. It should still give you an idea of the explosion of flavors that is this refreshing salad! 🙂
I like to make my own dressings because that’s what my sweet mama frequently did when I was growing up. I have been guilty of purchasing pre-made dressings, but lately I’ve been rather bored of the pricey bottled stuff. A friend inspired me to make my own dressings because, well, I was reminded how fun and adventurous the simple task really is!
This mustard vinaigrette is an amalgamation of several recipes. They all seemed rather similar, omitting and adding 1-2 ingredients, here and there. I call this the “1-2-3” tablespoons recipe. Quite simple to follow! 🙂
Use whatever seasonal veggies pleases you. This is what I did (I was at Whole Foods and couldn’t stop myself!):
- organic frisée ~ roughly torn into pieces
- organic escarole ~ roughly torn into pieces
- organic beets ~ thinly sliced
- organic radishes ~thinly sliced
- early girl tomatoes ~thinly sliced
- organic carrots ~ julienned
- mint & basil from my garden ~ coarsely chopped 🙂
- cucumber from my garden ~thinly sliced 🙂
- hemp hearts ~ I used about 2 tablespoons per serving
MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons habanero mustard ~ add fresh minced habanero if you just have mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet white wine ~ I used Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red onion ~ finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic ~ minced
- coarsely ground black pepper ~ to taste
- sea salt ~ to taste
- Mix dressing well and store in a sealed mason jar. Let the dressing stand for about 30 minutes-1 hour in the fridge (overnight is better).
- Prepare your colorful salad.
- Serve cold. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad. Top with hemp hearts.